Last Sunday was one of the hottest days we’ve had on the Sunshine Coast this year. It was absolutely boiling to the point where i just wanted to stay indoors! It was also my last day of school holidays before i embark upon my last term of school ever- VERY exciting! I had the whole day to myself (a work free Sunday is quite unusual) and so I took the opportunity to cook something from my brand new cookbook which was bought for me by Mum. Surprisingly enough it is one of the first cookbooks that is mine- I find I’m always cooking from recipes on Blogs or magazines or recommended to me by friends etc so having my very own cookbook is very exciting for me!
I chose to bake a recipe for carrot cupcakes and since I’d promised to bake afternoon tea for Mum for when she arrived home from her hard day at work i thought i’d make it into a cake because its more impressive 😀
It’s always more fun to make cake in a fun shape like a donut (as you can see that is the shape i chose to go with for this particular recipe) but i found it was quite a shallow cake and next time I would probably add abit more to the recipe if i was making a cake out of it again.
The cake was an absolute hit with the family and there was hardly any leftovers- everyone was unable to resist seconds! The cake itself was not overly sweet and so pairing it with the Orange flavoured icing was a perfect flavour match!This one is definitely being filed under “perfect cake for a warm summer Sunday Afternoon”
Carrot Cake with Orange icing:
1 1/2 Cups wholemeal plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups coarsely grated carrot
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp grated orange zest (extra for decoration)
2-3 tbsp Orange zest
1. Preheat Oven to 180 degrees. Grease cake tin with oil.
2.In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and a pinch of sea salt.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, sugar, carrot and vanilla extract, then stir in flour mixture until just combined being careful not to over mix.
4. Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let the cake cool completely (about 10 minutes on a wire rack) before topping with icing.
5. To make icing, sift icing sugar into a bowl and whisk in orange zest and 2 tbsp juice until smooth- the icing should be quite runny- add more juice if too thick.
6. Pour icing over cake and leave for about 10 minutes or until icing is set.